Heroin and Opioid Abuse
I’ve heard it from folks in every neighborhood in the Hudson Valley – the heroin and opioid epidemic is killing our children and devastating our communities. I'm doing everything in my power to combat this epidemic. There is no silver bullet solution, but working together with local, state and federal officials we can make sure those on the front lines have the support they need to expand prevention and treatment efforts, get drugs off our streets, and keep our children safe. Read more about my plans to fight this epidemic:
- Successfully passed the Opioid Review Modernization Act, which would combat opioid abuse by improving education for prescribing physicians and incentivizing the pharmaceutical industry to include anti-abuse properties in new medications.
- Hosted a town hall to hear from folks in the Hudson Valley
- Introduced the Life-Saving Librarians Act which would help get critical opioid antidotes to community members on the front lines of this epidemic.
- Introduced bipartisan legislation, The Keeping Communities Safe Through Treatment Act, to provide law enforcement the option to divert individuals directly to treatment instead of booking them and processing them through the criminal justice system.
- Helped secure nearly $1 million in federal investments to support local treatment centers
- Cosponsored CARA to create investment programs for local communities facing prescription drug epidemics to expand prevention and education efforts, increase the availability of naloxone, and promote treatment and recovery.
- Announced $625k in investments in local health centers.
If you are experiencing a medical or behavioral health emergency, dial 911. For additional programs and services in the Hudson Valley click on the links below or call the numbers listed:
- Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Council (ADAC) of Orange County: 224 Main Street A, Goshen, NY 10924, (845) 294-9000
- Astor Children’s and Family Services: (845) 871-1000, Hudson Valley Community-Based Programs;
- Catholic Charities: 27 Matthews Street, Goshen, NY 10924; (845) 294-5124; TEAM Newburgh, 280 Broadway, Newburgh, NY 12550, (845) 569-0034 x15
- Council on Addiction Prevention and Education (CAPE) of Dutchess County: 807 Route 52, Room 28, Fishkill, NY 12524, or call 845-765-8301; Peer Engagement Specialist, Meghan Hetfield, (845) 554-2527
- Drug Crisis in Our Backyard: 16 Fair Street, Carmel Hamlet, NY 10512; (845) 842-1212
- Dutchess County Department of Behavioral and Community Health: Call or text the HELPLINE at (845) 485-9700 or toll-free at (877) 485-9700 (mobile app available);
- Dutchess County Stabilization Center: 230 North Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601, (845) 485-9700
- Hudson Valley Region United Way: (845) 471-1900
- Lexington Center for Recovery: Dutchess County; Westchester County;
- Mount Kisco Partners in Prevention: 104 Main Street, Mount Kisco, NY 10549, or call (845) 273-3251;
- New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services: (877) 8-HOPENY
- Onward Recovery: 135 Grant St. (rear entrance), Newburgh, NY 12550; (845) 725-1244
- Orange County Department of Mental Health: 24 Hour Mobile Mental Health Team at (888) 750-2266;
- Putnam County Communities That Care Coalition: 67 Gleneida Avenue Carmel, NY, or call (845) 225-4646;
- Permanent Medication Collection Box at Town of Newburgh Police Department: 300 Gardernertown Road, Newburgh, NY 12550, or call (845) 564-1100;
- Westchester Coalition for Drug and Alcohol Free Youth: 112 East Post Road, 3rd Floor, White Plains, NY 10601, or call (914) 995-4115;
- Westchester Department of Community Mental Health: 112 East Post Road, White Plains, NY 10601; Crisis and Prevention and Response Team: (914) 925-5959;