Heroin and Opioid Abuse
I’ve heard it from folks in every neighborhood in the Hudson Valley – the heroin and opioid epidemic is killing our children and devastating our communities. I'm doing everything in my power to combat this epidemic. There is no silver bullet solution, but working together with local, state and federal officials we can make sure those on the front lines have the support they need to expand prevention and treatment efforts, get drugs off our streets, and keep our children safe. Read more about my plans to fight this epidemic:
- Hosted a town hall to hear from folks in the Hudson Valley
- Introduced bipartisan legislation, The Keeping Communities Safe Through Treatment Act, to provide law enforcement the option to divert individuals directly to treatment instead of booking them and processing them through the criminal justice system.
- Helped secure nearly $1 million in federal investments to support local treatment centers
- Introduced the Opioid Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act to help to deter prescription drug abuse and assist individuals in receiving treatment for addiction.
- Cosponsored the CARA Act to create investment programs for local communities facing prescription drug epidemics to expand prevention and education efforts, increase the availability of naloxone, and promote treatment and recovery.
- Announced $625k in investments in local health centers.
Communities across the Hudson Valley have valuable tools to help people struggling with addiction. Find more resources below.
- New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services at oasas.ny.gov or call 1-877-8-HOPENY;
- Team Newburgh Gateway Center at Newburgh Free Academy at 224 Main Street Goshen, NY 12550 or call 914-569-0034;
- Permanent Medication Collection Box at Town of Newburgh Police Department at 300 Gardernertown Road, Newburgh, NY 12550, or call 845-564-1100;
- Mount Kisco Partners in Prevention at 104 Main Street, Mount Kisco, NY 10549, or call 914-273-3251;
- Putnam County Communities That Care Coalition at 67 Gleneida Avenue Carmel, NY, or call 845-225-4646;
- Westchester Coalition for Drug and Alcohol Free Youth at 112 East Post Road, 3rd Floor, White Plains, NY 10601, or call 914-995-4115;
- Orange County Department of Mental Health 24 Hour Mobile Mental Health Team at 1-888-750-2266;
- Dutchess County Mental Hygiene Services 24 Hour Crisis Counseling Information and Referral Mobile Crisis Intervention Team at 1-877-485-9700;
- Westchester Department of Community Mental Health Crisis and Prevention and Response Team at 914-925-5959;
- Council on Addiction Prevention and Education (CAPE) of Dutchess County at 807 Route 52, Room 28, Fishkill, NY 12524, or call 845-765-8301.
- Drug Crisis in Our Backyard 845-842-1212
- Hudson Valley Region United Way 845-471-1900