Congressman Sean Maloney

Representing the 18th District of New York
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
YouTube icon

Maloney and Cuomo Announce $6.7 Million in New Investments for Hudson Valley

Jan 15, 2014
Press Release
Funding for Bicycle and Pedestrian Projects Will Encourage Tourism and Economic Development in the Hudson Valley

Newburgh, NY – Representative Sean Patrick Maloney (NY-18) and Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced the award of $6.7 million dollars for 6 bicycle, pedestrian and multi-use path transportation enhancement projects. Rep. Maloney advocated for these important investments which will include additional accessible sidewalks, improved pedestrian access to public transportation services, construction of new bicycle and pedestrian facilities and the preservation and conversion of abandoned railroad corridors for trail use.  The funding will help boost tourism and spur economic development opportunities throughout the state.  

“I am proud to have pushed for these investments in our communities that will allow my neighbors and all visitors to safely enjoy the scenic Hudson Valley – all while creating jobs and growing our local economy,” said Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney. “Because of the support of Governor Cuomo and Commissioner McDonald, we partnered together and got results that will make a difference for folks in the Hudson Valley.”

“With this funding, we are moving forward with projects that will make our transportation system safer for all users, and provide new facilities for tourism and recreation,” said Governor Cuomo. “These projects will improve our local communities and help boost tourism and economic development efforts across the State.”

New York State Department of Transportation Commissioner (NYSDOT) Joan McDonald said, “Today’s announcement demonstrates the State’s sustained commitment to investing in bicycle and pedestrian safety and efforts to improve the livability of communities statewide. Thanks to the leadership of Governor Cuomo, we are investing in projects that are promoting transportation alternatives, tourism and recreation, and local and regional economic development.” 

These funds are made available to the State through the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and are administered by NYSDOT. The funds cover 80 percent of the cost of each project, with the remaining 20 percent coming from the project sponsor.  The funds are dedicated for strategic investments in transportation alternatives. The selected projects are required to address one or more of the following categories: Facilities for bicycles and pedestrians; scenic or historic highway programs; landscaping and other beautification initiatives; preservation of abandoned railway corridors, including their conversion and use as pedestrian and bicycle trails; and environmental mitigation to address water pollution due to highway runoff or reducing vehicle-caused wildlife mortality.

Hudson Valley - $6.7 Million

NYS Route 211 Pedestrian and Landscape Improvements

 

Town of Wallkill

 

Orange

 

$1,336,000

Town of Crawford Pedestrian Improvement

 

Town of Crawford

 

Orange

 

$611,029

Route 52 Pedestrian Bridge to Walden-Wallkill Rail Trail

 

Village of Walden

 

Orange

 

$500,928

Safe Sidewalks Program/East Main Street & Kingston Avenue

City of Port Jervis

 

Orange

 

$745,178

Scotts Corner Bike/Pedestrian Safety Streetscape Project

 

Town of Pound Ridge

 

Westchester

 

$1,480,000

Morningthorpe Avenue Pedestrian Bridge Connection

 

Putnam County

 

Putnam

 

$2,000,000